Sometimes in New York, it’s difficult to find rest. This is the “city that never sleeps,” where hustle and bustle abound. It is known for its fast walkers, loud honkers and for burning the midnight oil. I work a full-time job as a NY Curator for Gilt City, the lifestyle brand of the Gilt Groupe. In addition to that, I run my Arbonne business that continues to take care of me, as it has for 8 years now. I keep this blog (that I am so happy you read!), I’m writing a book, I exercise 5 times a week, I maintain a relationship and a social life… and I still make time to call my mom, sister and grandmothers. Needless to say, life is full.
In the midst of all of this, how do I find resolve and peace? I love this quote: “Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.” ~Unknown. Love, love, love this.
I have learned several things that help me to find my calm in the midst of a busy life:
– I’ve clarified my vision for what I want to do in my life, and I’m focusing on steps that will get me there. Being intentional makes me feel productive and ‘on-purpose’ with my life, so while I am busy, the things I am doing are leading me in the direction I want to go: be an author / travel writer, take a trip around the world, have strong friendships and relationships, have a strong passive income through my business that gives me freedom to pursue all that I love, and to make the most of my experience in New York City and soak up in all the ways that I can.
– I have become more selective with who I spend my time with. I have really wonderful friends, and squeezing time in to spend time with them is difficult. When I maintain balance so I have people in my life who I love, my heart feels full and I function better in all areas of life.
– I take time for me. I sleep 7-8 hours a night, most nights. I write when I want to write, and I work out to stay sane and relaxed. I try new restaurants often because that is what I love to do, and I go outside and breathe in the fresh air when it’s a gorgeous day like today. I try to soak up the little things that are good about each day and get off my I-phone when I’m walking down a gorgeous tree-lined street. I am intentional about taking in those moments instead of typing out a text and missing them.
– I dream often and a lot. I think big about what I want in my life and what life would look like with no limits. I think thoughts like, “if that person could get there and do what I’m wanting to do (um, Samantha Brown on the Travel Channel), then it’s possible for me, too.” And when the timing is right, I act on those dreams and make steps towards making them happen. I try not to get overwhelmed with all of the small details but keep my eyes focused on my vision.
– Finally, I enjoy food and wine. I worry about my figure like every American female, but I refuse to let that keep me from enjoying all of the beautiful things in life, like macarons (I’m slightly obsessed). If I want dessert, I get it. Red wine, yes please. I try and bring balance in to my life to enjoy it fully.
It’s a wonderful Saturday! I slept in, had a good workout and am feeling light and strong at the same time- I ate well, I’m writing…. and now, I’m going to venture out, ride a bike and enjoy the sunshine on this gorgeous NY day. I hope you go and do the same!